View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 04:39 PM   #275 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
Hi,

No problem!

I've driven in England -- back about 15 years ago. (This was at the tail end of the major mad cow outbreak?) It was already expensive then. We drove a Lancia (?) sedan from High Wycombe down to the south coast, and then Lands End, then up towards Wales; where we visited Tintagel. If my memory serves, the cost was about 65£ a tank, so roughly $95?
Of course the US has never had mad cow - "falling cow" is not related - no no no no....

That's a fairly decent tour of south and south-west Britain. Lancia withdrew from the UK in the early 1990s so you may have had a Dedra (not named for success in an English speaking market is it - although it was a decent car for the time). It was really a FIAT Tipo and Tempra with a different badge.

£65 a tank was a lot in the mid 90s - are you sure it was a Lancia ? At the time I was fueling a Mondeo company car at £35 a time and it was killing me in money terms - until I discovered company car fuel claim mileage of course.

As a comparison you will get roughly £60 a week on some benefits in the UK welfare state system but a tank of Diesel currently costs me £75+ for ~700 miles.