View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #43 (permalink)
d0sitmatr
n00b.... sortof..

silver fire - '03 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 32.52 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthistle View Post
Just so I understand the 34% coverage area is equivalent to a free hole area of 66%. So the lower end of the table I posted the 25% free hole area mesh will have a coverage of 75%. Am I correct in interpreting your response?

What coverage mesh did you use for your testing?

more or less your first response is correct, but they state its more likely to be 64% open area due to the manufacturing process.

I used the screen size we have been talking about, because that is what I had on hand
I ran it on my 99 ranger xlt for 5 full tanks and didnt change a thing in my driving habits.
I have it all written down somewhere, and have looked for it already with no luck, but will continue to look more later this evening.
I saw absolutely no benefit, no increase in FE.
my tuft test showed no improvement at highway speeds (although there was some at slower speeds of < 40mph)
all in all, my guess is if you were staying within town/city driving, then you might actually see some gains, but once you get on the hwy, those gains would be marginal, at the very best.
but once you start to introduce angle to the build, you blockage is going to increase incrementally with the angle.