View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Shinjitsu
True performance

The Lude - '92 Honda Prelude Si 4ws
90 day: 25.99 mpg (US)

Angel - '92 Chevrolet Camaro RS
90 day: 23.31 mpg (US)

Mia - '96 mazda miata mx-5
90 day: 27.24 mpg (US)
Cutting fuel to cylinders

I've read about people putting kill switches on to cut the signal to the injectors momentarily to kill the engine for coasting. I got to thinking, what if you cut one or two of the cylinders (more for larger engines like a v8 or v6) and run the car at highway speeds - just a steady pace. My car uses about 20hp at 70 mph. I'm sure 3 cylinders would carry it easily and I would hardly notice that 1 cylinder is missing - and 2 cylinders would probably still carry the car just fine.

Has anyone tried anything like this? It would be more convenient than pulse & glide and could have comparable results. I've gotten the wiring figured out I believe so my only question is this: Is there going to be any damage caused from cutting the signal to the fuel injectors for extended periods of time? I would assume that if one cylinder never had combustion take place, it would be in better shape than the other cylinders which had the extra stress of the combustion heat and pressure. So I would think there would NOT be any long term damage caused by doing this but please, correct me if I could be wrong - I cannot afford to blow my engine right now.