View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #26 (permalink)
highwaylizard
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
Ram air is a misnomer (thank you GM marketing) but a large forward facing intake helped improve FE on 3 cars so far vs the stock intake setup. There is less down shifting involved in normal driving and I can use WOT or near wot in high gear at low RPM more often. The tradeoff is that the airbox accumulates more dirt.

My ram air intake scoop is located below the bumper on the passenger side of my truck. At that location it does tend to collect a lot more grit and debris than would normally be found there. I clean out the air box every couple of thousand miles. I have decided redesign the scoop and move it further up and locate it in the bumper. This should make the feed tube less convoluted and the location in the bumper will be in a higher pressure area. It is my hope that by locating the scoop in the bumper it will accumulate less debris. Although I have never done it I worry about the scoop getting ripped off the bottom of the bumper by a parking curb or road hazard. I have managed to fill it up with snow from cutting through a snow bank.