View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
Priliminary Prius quanta

My friend Gary spent some time with the car.He got a couple helpers to sit inside while he measured.
* with 300-lbs ballast the height of the car is 58.2-inches ( 1455mm )
* point of maximum roof camber occurs @ 4.5-inches ( 112.5mm) aft of the B-pillar door joint.
* using the 'Template',the imaginary tail would strike the ground at 207-inches ( 5175mm ) behind the zero-point of the 'Template.'
* at 75% 'Template'( this will be my recommendation ) the back of the trailer will fall at 91.71-inches ( 2292.75mm ) behind the rear bumper fascia of the Prius.
* the elevation at the trailer body upper terminus is 24.5-inches ( 612.5mm ).
* in rear elevation view the body will mimic the Prius body tumblehome and evolve from there.
* Prius plan-view body camber and boat-tailing varies with position on the car.Very little at sill level,quite a bit as one moves up in elevation.The trailer body will pick up at these points and evolve.
* due to the original outside wheel width of 52.5-inches ( 1312.5mm ) I will recommend that the trailer tongue be shortened 5.82-inches ( 145.5mm ) to just maintain a 45-degree jack-knife swing,and go to a hyper-'Template' curvature in plan-view to allow enclosure of the wheels/tires within the footprint of the body.If done,the width of the trailer body rear will be 45.35-inches ( 1133.75mm ).Otherwise,to 'contain' the wheels with a on-'Template' plan-curvature,would require sectioning the frame and axle,a decision Gary will have to make.
* General Note:So far,cedar-strip canoe construction technology will be the fabrication path for the body construction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is all preliminary,nothing is set in cement,and ideas will be bouncing back and forth between Sanger and Colorado Springs.
And so far,only the upper body is on the table.No bellypan,no wheel fairings.