View Single Post
Old 05-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
zonker
500 Mile Metro Traveler

'89 Dakota LB - blue - '89 Dodge Dakota V6 LE
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

'17 Fiat 124 - SunFiat - '17 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
90 day: 30.51 mpg (US)

'89 Metro - The Egg - '89 Geo Metro Base
90 day: 50.71 mpg (US)

'94 Alto - The Box - '94 Suzuki Alto Ce-L
90 day: 39.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Our brilliant leaders have knocked down all the neighborhood schools (that most everyone could easily walk to) in favor of sparkling new Taj Mahals on the outskirts of town that nobody walks to, so everyone must be bussed or individually driven there... except for the new housing subdivisions that sprout up next to the new Taj Mahal, which eventually will recreate what was there in the first place, except with a dead zone in the center of town, thus ensuring that sprawl is a permanent blight on the landscape.

Add to that this thing where no longer does living within the boundaries of a school district mean you go to school in that district. Every day, numerous school busses thunder past my house (they really ARE noisy GD things, aren't they???) from several towns up to 25 miles away. Is all this bussing the reason schools are a funding black hole i.e. there is never, ever enough money?
The school district in the commuter town i live in will not bus a child that is closer than 2 miles as the crow flies even if you offer to pay for the privilege. As it turned out, we lived 3.3 miles from school by street, but only 1.9 as the crow flew. Wish I knew a big enough crow to fly my kid to school lol.

Ah, but that brings up another issue... suburban sprawl and the costs associated with it.

Besides the newer houses being built further from town, the infrastructure to support a more distant community and the subsequent job commuting that follows also wreak havoc on our fuel needs / emission concerns.

One of then Governor Ahhnolds statements after taking office was that the creation of new cities and subdivisions has costs much greater than if we invested in urban redevelopment. Ahhnold was right. Too bad he couldn't do anything about it.

Last edited by zonker; 05-04-2011 at 07:41 PM..