Thread: Turbo choices
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM   #12 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
That's precisely what I want, actually. I plan on pulling trailers with this car once it's sorted, and I do like to have done fun occasionally, as well. It already drops power like a brick at 4k rpm, and I'm ok with it. A little more pickup couldn't hurt, and better efficiency isn't a bad thing, either.
Ok, that's good. Next question; are you going to mount the turbo next to the engine using the factory Ecodiesel manifold, fabbed header, modded NA manifold or do you want to remote mount it?

I got bored and went and calculated the airflow and boost requirement to take the hp level to 95 hp.

The airflow needed is 13.23 pounds per minute.

The boost requirement 14.29 psi

Your pressure ratio is 2.26

These figure came from using the formulas on the Turbo by Garrett site, assuming .38 BSFC, 3600 rpms, 130 degree F intake temp, 2 psi boost loss in the intake system, 1 psi loss due to inlet restriction.

Considering you want to tow, I would want to increase off boost torque by doing a cam swap, as long as it clears the pistons.

Only other thing would be either a water/meth injector or a MSD / Superchips propane injection system set for max economy ( not for power ); it'll really boost the economy.

The rotary style pumps fuel hard down low, and if you got with a good pump shop to adjust the fueling and timing curves so that it has a fast power rise and gets you into the fat part of the boost in the 1500-2500 rpm range, you should be happy with it.

Last edited by cleanspeed1; 05-05-2011 at 08:21 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-05-2011)