Thread: Turbo choices
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
jtbo
Master EcoModder

ZX - '97 Citroen ZX Monaco
OldContinents
90 day: 61.05 mpg (US)
How much of work and money you are willing to invest?

What you describe from powerband would be easy to obtain with VNT turbo, but many of those require some kind of control, which again requires some electronic work. I guess there was some fully mechanical ones too, but it is bit gray area for me.

One problem with traditional turbo is that if you use small enough to get good boost at low rpm, you will loose top end and easily EGT goes trough the roof at higher rpm, but only way I know how to get boost from idle would be with very small turbo that is too small when going to higher rpm.

Boost build up can be helped with limit pressure valve (google translated term), that does keep wastegate closed until set pressure is reached.

KKK K16 turbo was used small Fiats, it would boost from idle in 1.6l diesel, but it would not be possible to get very good top end, I doubt that it would even work at 4000rpm without causing too high EGT, it is too narrow/tiny but that would do great at lower rpm.

With VNT you would get several size turbos in one, boost would come a lot lower rpm while still being enough big for high rpm.

That is at least how I understand this.