View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #54 (permalink)
jthistle
EcoModding Lurker

08 xB - '08 Scion xB
90 day: 35.5 mpg (US)
The point of testing multiple meshes with different open hole areas is to find the one that passes the most air at low speeds and blocks the most air at high speeds. Testing with a air flow meter hopefully will give instantaneous results where as making grill blocks requires you to do coast down tests and run multiple tanks of fuel to track the changes. The discussion has always been about mesh grill blocks. It has gotten quite technical as we have tried theorize the effect of using mesh as a grille block by applying research that has been done by others on similar topics.

Quote:
I got this stuff at the hardware store...... probably a plastic of some kind, was on a large role. I bought a section that would fit. THe holes are obviously smaller than ANY thing being discussed
As verified by d0sitmatr most screening material for window screens is ~70% open area. d0sitmatr tested window screening previously and saw no benefit. The smallest screening I purchased for my test has 29% open area with hole sizes of 0.023 inches.

I am not set on using stainless mesh for the final grill block but it is convenient for testing purposes. I can buy meshes with specific open areas. The stainless meshes are more rigid than plastic which will not require me to support the center of the test area to prevent wobble.

It would be helpful if you could find out what open hole area the screening you are using has and what effect your grill block alone has on your MPG by testing with and without it.

This is what the 29% open area mesh looks like