Thread: Turbo choices
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
cleanspeed1
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Twin-turbo to solve low end, top end power issue? Ok, I realize this isn't practical.

My next off-topic question is, do turbos boost the efficiency of gasoline engines too? That is, would my 2.4L TSX benefit from a boost?

I do realize the main benefit of a turbo is to allow a smaller size engine to be used while not compromising performance.
Actually, a compound twin set is great for a diesel, and it will allow much cooler EGT's than a single. But for what Christ wants to do, not necessary.

Anything that can introduce more air into an engine will help with the mileage, whether gas or diesel.

Get on Squires Turbo Systems website and see the mpg increases along with the power increase using their setups.

Engines like yours have a lot of port and valve area, so even with all of Honda's engineering tricks, it's light on torque in the low and midrange. By adding boost to get that high flowing head active lower in the rpm range, you don't have to spin the engine up so high to get your car up to speed, and consequently the mpg improves. Honda figured that out and offered their first turbo set up on the Acura RDX.

The secret is being able to run leaner mixtures during off boost situations while cruising along.