Thread: Turbo choices
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #27 (permalink)
Christ
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
A couple points:

I'm not only interested in getting more power here. I chose turbo because it uses essentially wasted heat in the exhaust. I'm not really considering superchargers at this point, as they are parasitic power adders, and even though a turbo add significant exhaust restriction, I don't believe the "cost per return" is as high for a turbo.

Work, I don't mind doing. I don't want to spend a ton on this, though. Frankly, 95hp would be more than sufficient, I think.

I'm looking at around 200 for a turbo, it seems. I might be able to find a decent intercooler cheap or free, and piping it is also basically free. The exhaust will be another story... The stock manifold isn't restrictive at all. The toilet bowl flange connection necks down from 2.5" to 1.5" inside, and that's the exhaust restriction in it's entirety. I want to put the turbo close to the current battery location, which means using the OE manifold, opening the toilet bowl to 2.5 inches, and making a curved pipe to bring the exhaust around to the side of the motor, the a down pipe from the turbo back to the original exhaust location, also 2.5 inch all the way back. All of the necessary exhaust has already been priced out at no more than $150.

A twin turbo setup is definitely overkill, but I may consider it in the future if I end up needing more power.

I'm going through an idea in my head where instead of turning up my pump and/or using an LDA pump, I'll pipe in propane and tune my non-LDA pump for "normal" operation, where it'll smoke a bit at full pedal or high load. Propane is cheap, and I can adjust it with a quick regulator for the power boost I want at the time. Just an idea, anyway.