Thread: In a rut
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
endurance
Master EcoModder

RSX2fast4mpg - '02 Acura RSX Type S
90 day: 38.22 mpg (US)

bubbatrucker - '98 Chevrolet K1500
90 day: 18.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
Did you just press the switch, or press and hold? I use the crankshaft position sensor to kill my engine and I have to hold it for something like 1-2 seconds else it coughs and revs up again. If I hold it for even longer then the ECU throws a 'Low Oil Pressure' code.
Another option may be the camshaft position sensor, though in my case it wouldn't kill the engine (not even cough), it would only prevent it from starting. In many cars those two sensors (crank- and camshaft) are syncronised at start-up so the engine can keep going if the signal from one of them is lost. Killing both at the same time should stop the engine.
I've tried pressing quickly, I've tried holding it. It almost stalls either way, but even if you hold it in, it resumes idle. It's a hard car to kill. I routinely turn it off with the key and if I don't wait long enough, it just restarts. If I'm going to try again it's going to be with the PGM-EFI circuit.

It doesn't really bother me that my SGII tank mileage is off since it's only my calculation at the pump that matters. Actually, even that doesn't matter as much as the fact that I'm now filling up once every 10-13 days where before it was once every 7-8 days. Hypermiling and telecommuting have saved me around 100 gallons over the last six months and that is its own reward.

She's pushing 138,000 miles and still runs like a champ, so as much as I'd like to replace 'er with something that capable of 50+mpg, the cost/benefit analysis at this point is saying I should drive it until the wheels fall off. With the miles on it, the condition (door dings and paint chips), the trade in/sale price would be lousy. Besides, it's only been in the last year or two that cheap 40mpg non-hybrids hit the market (Fiesta, Cruze, Yaris, VW TDIs), so I might adjust my replacement timeline until I can pick up a newer generation used hypermiler car for under $10k (2013? 2014?). Given the depreciation rate of economy cars and the price point they're entering the market, I might not have to wait that long.