View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
@dam
EcoModding Lurker

Hypermiling and safety

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

I'm 31 years old, and have been recording my mileage every tank since I was 16. I'm far from a hypermiler, but it is very seldom that I get less than the EPA highway rating in any of my cars, regardless of driving conditions. In high school I used to use a few techniques advocated here (figured them out on my own) that I now consider too dangerous.

Examples include coasting downhill with the engine off (dangers include accidentally locking your wheel, slower steering, and very high brake effort) and significantly over inflating tires (decreased cornering and braking traction). Now, I mostly just do high throttle setting/low RPM to minimize pumping losses, and coasting (with the motor running) to stops. If I'm going to have a lot of excess energy while the light is still red, I double clutch to 2nd or 3rd and coast in gear (I think my computer shuts off the fuel entirely when I do this).

Many of the techniques advocated here, such as some of the ones listed above, ignoring stops, tailgating, extremely fast cornering, etc. seem to dramatically decrease safety. Even if we ignore the fact that ones life is ones most valuable asset and can not be replaced, the expense of one accident, and the environmental cost of the repair or new car, can dramatically outweigh all of the savings from years, or even a lifetime, of hypermiling. Even something like not using the AC on a hot day can fit in this category, as I find I'm a less attentive driver when I'm very hot and uncomfortable- not to mention that if you don't use your AC semi-regularly it is more likely to have a compressor problem, leading to an expensive repair that more than offsets the cost of any fuel you saved.

I'm not here merely to wag a finger. I did a search and didn't see much if any discussion on issues such as this, and it seems to be a very important topic. It'd be interesting to start a discussion on techniques with minimal safety impact, and how other proposed techniques may be penny wise but dollar foolish.

Thoughts?
-@dam