Thread: New guy
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fat Charlie
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Now I'm quite pleased. A record tank- 415.5 miles, and there were still 2 gallons left in the tank. If I'd had more faith I wouldn't have filled up this morning because I could have made it back home without a problem. But when the mileage remaining says 60 when you start up in the morning, you don't plan to put 90 on it before refueling.

It was also the first time in six years that I'd verified the car's computer. I did it on a couple tanks when it was new and was satisfied with its accuracy. This morning it read 28.8, but the math only came out to 28.127. I had actually been hoping that it would underestimate mileage because of all the time it spent on 99.9. I was hoping that the car simply couldn't see past that and wasn't accounting for it. Turns out not to be the case and it's just a smidgen inaccurate when driven in a way that they didn't plan on. Still, a little over 1/2 an MPG off isn't too bad and I'm still happy with that, especially as I've seen folks here reporting the same thing- not to trust the car's instruments implicitly when you're out of the car's envelope.

A good first tank, getting almost 100 extra miles from the gas burned. Considering that I can't stay out of the turbo for too long and I'm still trying to learn how to look at the road and traffic, I figure there's still a bunch of room for improvement, because the nut is nowhere near fully adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%