View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 11:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
Mpgian
EcoModding Lurker

Crx-Vx - '90 Honda CRX VX
90 day: 45.43 mpg (US)
I tried but fell short of my goals...

As some of you may know, I bought a 1990 Honda CRX dx with a fuel gulping b18 motor and super short geared b16 gsr tranny. After getting a 25-30mpg for a month, I finnaly had enough. I bought a D15z1 (from a 95 civic VX) and a CRX HF tranny. It took me about a month to install the motor/tranny/ECU and get everything working good enough to drive my commute (650+ miles a week). After all this work, Im still haveing a little trouble finding the sweet spot for FE.

So far I have installed:
d15z1 motor (<45k mi)
HF tranny (48k mi)
taller 195/60-15 tires
New CV axles
New Wheel hubs/bearings
New Plugs / Wires
New Hoses and vac lines
New clutch/flywheel/bearings
New timing belt
New Ball joints upper/lower
New HID headlights/Projector housing (low power 35w)
P07-a00 ECU

I had a few bad tanks, a good tank, and a few ok tanks, Im averaging about 40ish MPG. I havent kept up with my sig mpg log, but I have the data on a note book, havent had time to type it in...

I drive 55-60mpg depending if there are hills or not, (i go very slow up hills) Ive monitored leanburn on my way to and from work (staying in LB for 50%+ of the time) Drafting semi-trucks, Keeping it in the highest gear/lowest RPM as I can. After all the mods, and all the driving like a GD slug, I cant break 50mpg average! I drove it going the speedlimit 70mph today and still got 40mpg.

I Just bought a 4x8' sheet of Coroplast and plan on blocking my grill, fog holes, building a cover for my wipers and some under belly panels. Maybe a front air dam too. I also have a MPGuino and Vac gauge comming and am tring to figure out how to wire an AEM A/F wideband monitor to let me know how to drive better.

Any Ideas??? I just want to get 50-60mpg average like the others out there with CRX-VX conversions