View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 01:45 PM   #18 (permalink)
mateospeed
10MPG w/ 8.5'x16' Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Just what I was thinking. If the trailer is specifically to haul the Miata, it doesn't need to be any bigger than the Miata, does it? (Assume gear & spares go in the truck bed.) So build it to have an aero teardrop shape going back, with clamshell top that opens up for access.

So what you have is a flat bed that carries the Miata, a vertical riser at the front edge that mounts gap seals, and two aerodynamic fairing half-shells that just pop off. (I do wish I could draw...)

PS: Maybe this is a stupid question, but why not just drive the Miata to the track?

I should have mentioned a few things: 1) the trailer carries all the gear, none of it goes in the truck as of now. This is for 2 reasons: reduced loading time (I can leave the gear in the trailer), and the fact that the bed is currently open, and offers the potential to soak everything in the bed when it rains.

We use the trailer as an RV, workshop, and headquarters while we're at the track. Its height is important, because if it were not standing-height inside, it would be essentially useless. In ideal cirumstances, yes, I'd make a trailer shape to just enclose the car. Good ideas, I wish I could use them!

The miata cannot be driven to track because A) it's a full-blown race car, and isn't street-legal, and B) I frequently crunch the bodywork (usually the front fenders) or otherwise break the car, and need to count on being able to trailer the car home. It's not, however, a stupid question. There are Spec Miata racers that build their cars street-legal and drive them to the event. They are not, however, at all competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
If you could do an inter-library loan for one of Wolf Heinrich Hucho's books on 'Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles',you'd find a wealth of empirical data from testing of commercial vehicles of all kinds.
I've heard a ton about Mr. Hucho, and hadn't even considered finding his book at a library. I simply wrote it off as too expensive to purchase, and didn't think it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead
Will wait for your sketches.
Whoops! Completely forgot! Will attach when I complete them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob
Matt, since your trailer is so much bigger and heavier than the car you tow inside it, what are your requirements?
Again, I forgot to mention that the 8.5x8x24 trailer is pretty much necessary for interior space. I wish it wasn't so heavy, but I got it for a steal, so it's what I've got.

Quote:
As for your list of mods, I personally would not bother with any major surgery to the truck. I honestly don't think you would ever break even. I could be wrong of course; that's just my opinion.
When you say 'major surgery', are you referring to add-on aero mods to the exterior of the truck, or transplanting engine/ transmissions into the truck. If you're talking about the powertrain, I'm going to agree. I've run a few examples, and it's WAY cheaper to trade. I'll never find an ideal vehicle, but it'll be cheaper overall.

Quote:
Just thinking out loud here... if I wanted to tow the car behind the truck and maximize fuel economy I'd consider the absolute bare minimum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie
Because it's a track car. You can't count on being able to drive it home. Same goes for hauling it on its own wheels; you can't even count on it rolling. An enclosed trailer really is the best for this. Surgery to the trailer might make a lot of sense, but ditching it doesn't.
Hit the nail on the head.

-Matt
The Following User Says Thank You to mateospeed For This Useful Post:
KamperBob (05-10-2011)