View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #19 (permalink)
mateospeed
10MPG w/ 8.5'x16' Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, the same is true - though perhaps (but only perhaps :-)) to a lesser degree - when you drive on the highway.
Indeed. However, for the sake of this project, considering the car assumed to be not able to return home under its own power. This happens frequently enough to consider it expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover
Trailer towing -- with that big gap between trailer and TV -- means that aero treatment ought to be separate. Maximize the advantage for each vehicle, first. Work on obvious mechanical deficiencies: sloppy steering linkage, alignment (both vehicles), proper tire pressure, brake drag, etc. Number of steering corrections and brake applications per 10 or 100 miles is to be minimized. Also, set up hitch rigging according to weight scale readings. Set a baseline, with full record-keeping.
Here I was thinking the best gains might be seen by working on that very gap you speak of, buy adding a deflector to the truck, and/or creating a nose-cone for the trailer.

I have taken care to make sure the truck and trailer are in as good mechanical condition as I'm mechanically capable. Tire pressures are monitored, and hubs and brakes are checked for slop and drag before every trip, as well as recieving a top-up on grease.

One thing I haven't done is weighed the trailer to ensure proper tongue weighting. I do, however, have a weight-distributing hitch with sway control. I've driven a few rigs with significant sway problems, and don't want to ever deal with it again. On the way to South Carolina 2 weekends ago, I was looking at a 25 knot steady wind at a 45-90 degree angle to head-on, and experienced no perceptible sway. It was truly wonderful. That said, a small improvement might be seen in weighting the trailer more properly. I check the tire temps whenever I stop, and they're never move than "warm," but they are getting eaten rather quickly: less than 2k miles and I'm looking at replacing them already! However, this seems to be the norm for everyone else at the track. It was also simliar with the old open trailer.