View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #115 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
I wasn't saying those were the figures to stand by. I was just trying to get an idea for what kind of loses are there.

The only test I can think of is to remove the timing belt and soon the intermediate shaft with the engine on a stand, using an electric motor and an ammeter to determine wattage required with and without the oil pump attached. Once I get the other motor on the stand to rebuild, that might be an option.

3600 rpm is a decent speedfor a test, because it would be in excess of 70mph road speed, and is likely the highest speed the engine will regularly see.

A motor that spins 3600 @ xVDC with an ammeter to read current draw should give enough basic data to form a conclusion, yes?

Test 1: Intermediate shaft and oil pump installed, sae30 oil.
Test 2: remove oil pump pickup, leave pump installed (bearings well be oiled fromm previous test.
Test 3: pre oil bearings, remove pump and spin balance shaft alone.
You'll probably want to use a speed closer to road load unless you're always going 70mph. An ammeter/voltmeter may present a small problem since motor efficiency changes with load/current, but with the caveat that any results will likely be exaggerated by a bit it should be informative to run a test like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-09-2011)