View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Roe
EcoModding Lurker

Roe's G5 - '08 Pontiac G5
90 day: 40.61 mpg (US)
New member from central PA

Hello modders! I've been perusing this site for the past 2 months or so getting tips about saving gas, and I'm ready to start taking more drastic steps to start saving some money, and help the environment out too.

I commute about 61 miles to work one way, and 60 of those are on the interstate. Right now my '08 Pontiac G5 is getting 36.7 mpg, and I'd really like to be around 45 or more. My main goal is saving money, and I've done some math that shows me that (with gas at $4/gallon) a 1 mpg increase saves me about 70 dollars in a year.

I do have a few questions for anyone willing to answer:

- I've seen that the Scanguage II can have some pretty intense savings, but would it have as big of an effect on the interstate? I do drive over quite a few of hills, if anything I think it could help in that regard.

- Does anyone know of wheel skirts that are rigid, secure and easily removed?

- Would removing my mudflaps be more effective than cutting them into a tire spoiler?

- The undercarriage of my car is still a bumpy undercarriage, but it does seem smoother than many other cars. Would the added surface area of an air dam be possibly detrimental?

- Has anyone had any luck taking their car to a custom car shop?