View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 PM   #42 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

I understand the beauty and the art of it; but agree that most people with an expensive to them car, are not going to feel comfortable as a newby trying this. I've enjoyed learning this on someone elses big rig.. and I'm extremely comfortable doing it all the time w motorcycles, but my comfort level just isn't there with a car I PAID FOR! It's like the brakes are cheaper than high performance downshifting thoughts. If you are hypermiling a motorcycle, I hope you are using the clutch down to neutral to coast final approach to stop signs and lights which you KNOW will still be red. If I approach a slow speed sharp corner, and want 2 or 3 gears down right away; I'm going to use the clutch. Motorcycles have that dog design, which is very strong. I would advise newer riders to gradually test upshifts from 1st gear up. Only after you're happy there; little by little, try a downshift, say before a 35 mph curve that you're rapidly approaching in top gear... It's harder, but you've got to listen and be attentive...not for everybody! Speaking of smoothness: do most of you have light enough gas pedals (most late model) that you could drive in your socks for added sensitivity... for even better mpg's? I realize most older (70's...back) vehicles have very stiff gas feeds, but they can be modified quite easily! I used to drive old Ford Econoline vans..Very stiff... I used to have a cool boss who gave me permission to have the mechanic who serviced our company fleet drill out and unhook the stiff linkage, making 200plus daily miles routes through mountain roads a pleasure!