View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
robchalmers
Master EcoModder

Chug - '96 Volkswagon Polo CL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.42 mpg (US)

L'Autre - '03 Renault Megane Sport Tourer Expression
Diesel
90 day: 45.02 mpg (US)
My Summer Challenge 2011

Summer Challenge 2011

Its about time for my semi-annual self challenge, its something I normally do on the tedious drive to the family vacation to keep my self awake. Last year it was to drive from Warrington to the French Atlantic coast via Dover and Calais (1460miles) on less than 4 full tanks of fuel in the family Megane Scenic people carrier (1.4l gas) loaded to the gills with Kiddy / holiday stuff. I managed it, just even though we were cruising at 130kph on the French side and roughly 70mph (officer) in the UK I still had 1/3 of a tank (4 UK Gallons) left

This year I’m changing the stakes a bit. I’m going to the 24hr of Le Mans. So my challenge is to do the 1170miles on two tanks of in the Polo

Specs
Polo life average (at the time of print) 49mpg
Polo Tank size 11.5 gallons
Distance 1170
Required MPG 50.89

Now that might not seem the hardest thing ever. Here are the challenge points

1. The most I’ve ever got out of one tank in the polo is 571miles each leg is 585miles

2. Practically all of the driving is at freeway speeds, which = high revs, something a basic 4-squirt-per-turn mechanical diesel injection fuel system isn’t the most efficient thing for. My commute is 1/3rd back roads where the speed is a down in the 50’s

3. The car will be loaded to the roof with camping gear, BBQ, chairs, beer etc. Normally its empty and single occupant

4. No matter what time you try and go through Rouen, there is normally a huge tailback.

5. The French AutoRoute system is a Peage system with tolls every no and again. So I’ll have to accelerate all that mass each time

6. Call me chicken but I really don’t want to run out of diesel in France in a German car on the weekend where there is a HUGE French-German motorsport rivalry (Audi vs. Peugeot @ Le Mans)

7. 11.5 gallons is down to the fuel in the pipes – not something diesels or diesel pumps like

twitter.com/bertchalmers