View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #146 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I had a chance to get under the car today, so I used my new IR thermometer to check how the heating pad is working. I preheated the engine for an hour before driving two houses down the street to my brother-in-law's garage. By the time I got under the car and took the engine tray off, the oil pan and heating pad registered 26.6°C, while the rest of the car was between 10°-15°C. I plugged the pad in and its temperature started to rise very fast. After about 3-5 minutes it was almost 200°C, while the oil pan was 55°-75°C, depending on how far from the pad.

I've been monitoring engine coolant temps just after start-up and it seems that the oil pan heater doesn't have much effect on those, the difference is noticeable after a few seconds when the coolant hardly cools once it starts to flow through the engine. In fact, the coolant+oil pan heaters in tandem work so well that my engine hardly notices that the glow plugs are faulty - the ECU only throws a code after a cold start. Absolutely no problems when starting the engine, only the battery's age (6 years, of which at least the last 3 had really cold winters) is starting to catch up - sometimes, after killing a warmed up engine at a red light, it turns 2-3 times before it catches on. Gotta start researching replacement options. I'd invest in a deep cycle battery only if I could turn the alternator off, otherwise I don't think it is worth the extra cost.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread