View Single Post
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #330 (permalink)
Rusty Marina
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
OK, here's an example that I think is about as non-subjective and non-political as possible: health. Up until about the '60s or so, overall public health was on an upward curve. A lot of really serious diseases had been eliminated by vaccinations (I'm old enough to remember a couple of older kids in my school who'd had polio, and walked with crutches & leg braces) and improved diet & sanitation.

Nowadays the curve has flattened, if not actually started downwards. The health care system seems barely able to keep up with the current level of lifestyle diseases, and that only by offloading a great part of the cost on to the healthy. A few minutes observing bodies at e.g. the local WalMart suggests that there's going to be a major increase in these diseases in the next few decades. On the plus side, the only major advance in the past few decades has been anti-smoking campaigns.
Lifestyle is IMO the biggest one of them all : Wal Mart is the king of obese customers, I think.
And look at the childhood obesity we have now; what we considered a fat kid on the playground 30 years ago today is almost thin now.....diabetes is coming up at alarming rates in kids.