View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
. . .
I have read before that increasing the compression ratio increases fuel efficiency, but what is the reason behind this?
This is the most interesting aspect of a college level course on thermodynamics. The 'dirt simple' answer is the expansion ratio is effectively increased as the fuel-air charge at ignition is increased. But the detailed answer is a little longer ... you might check the Wiki or ask Mr. Google. I'd have to reconstruct my college course notes (from 40 years ago!)
Quote:
. . .
If increasing cylinder pressure increases fuel efficiency, why not direct-inject gasoline into the cylinder at just the right moment and not worry about detonation (like a diesel engine)?
That is the theory of direct injection engines and promises to make a significant improvement in ordinary ICE engine operation. Everyone is working on their versions.
Quote:
. . .
This leads me to the question of why it's important to have a stoichiometric air/fuel ratio in a gasoline car when it doesn't matter with a diesel?
It has to do with the 3-way, catalytic converter that needs an oscillation between lean and rich. A balance is needed so the oxides and hydrocarbons combine to complete the hydrocarbon combustion and convert the oxides from reactive NO{x} to N{2} and CO{2}.
Quote:
. . .
I imagine a turbo increases the effective compression ratio, and this explains the increase in fuel efficiency. Why not just engineer a higher ratio into the design of the engine?
Weight as a turbo-charger lets a physically smaller engine perform at power levels a substantially heavier engine would require. It breathes like a big bore and makes power like a big bore but it is much lighter so there is less rolling drag and inertial losses (aka., when the brakes have to slow or stop the car.)

Bob Wilson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bwilson4web For This Useful Post:
Christ (05-12-2011), cleanspeed1 (05-12-2011), redpoint5 (05-12-2011)