View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,414 Times in 3,386 Posts
How important is off-road ability? How about snow? Rain? Tire choice is always about compromise. I had some tires I called the "road warriors" on my 2500 Cummins, and the tread was very unagressive, the tires were narrow, and the sidewall rating was something like 85lbs. They were very quiet, got excellent fuel economy, and performed well in the rain. It was a bit harsh riding with them fully inflated, but that didn't bother me. The problem was that anytime the truck touched damp grass, I was stuck, even in 4 wheel drive.

I have since switched to Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos, and inflate them to max sidewall (somewhere around 55psi I believe). They are taller and wider than stock, effectively giving me a taller gearing. They aren't quite as fuel efficient and my "road warriors", but the compromise is worth the ability to move around in the muck and snow.

For absolute best FE, my suggestion is to go with the largest diameter tire you can fit, as narrow as possible. Then air these up as much as they will go. Of course, the back-end will float around without a load. As to tread pattern; the cooler it looks, the less FE they will likely be (and more noisy).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!