View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:49 AM   #53 (permalink)
NHRABill
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Well I read most of the thread and skimmed some and have heard over and over that you are going off the sidewall pressure? why? sidewall is not the proper inflation for the tire. read your owners manual or look at the door jamb and run your pressures from there as a starting point.

Every model car is different, if you have a 4cyl or a 8 with the same size tires one will need more or less air to allow for the weight difference. front or RWD? Yup once again cars balance and distribution of weight throughout the car will need to be taken into account.

I have trailer tires that say 50 PSI but that is under certain loads. Your car is set up using the maximum capacities that is allowable for the vehicle. So if you have a 8 person 3 row crossover then you may have different mfr. recommendations depending on how many occupants in the car.

Weight and your suspension is critical for your car to maintain its optimum handling and performance. blown shocks and overinflated tires may net a monster rough ride that has your ABS brake system working overtime every-time you hit a pothole, then again many people may not care because they are netting 2mpg better.

I am not telling you how to setup your car and there is no universal PSI number but there is one thing we all can agree on is that under inflated tires are bad thing unless you go to the race track with me where I set my slicks anywhere from 6 to 15 PSI on most days, weather and track conditions vary.
1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*