View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 04:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
RobertSmalls
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
On the upside, the Insight is the most fuel efficient car you can buy, it's a beautiful piece of engineering, and I'm sure you'd love it. They are very reliable, and maintainence costs are low. I highly recommend one.

On the downside, they're expensive to buy right now. Once people get accustomed to the current fuel prices, or if prices begin to fall, then Insights will come down in price as well.

Also, the Insight has as much cargo space as you'd expect from a two-seat sports car. You can't fit large things in the back, but you can unbolt the passenger seat and leave it at home on occasion. Owning an Insight will make you wonder if they make 6' kayaks for people with small cars. You'll also be on the bump stops with just 400lbs of batteries or landscaping materials. 400lbs of anything else just won't fit in the car.

Have you run an honest cost analysis of keeping vs replacing the Cooper? I love Insights, but it would take many years of driving for the fuel savings to add up to the purchase price difference vs, say, a 2000 Civic.