View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
07aveoSVM
EcoModding Lurker

I want to completely remove my belt

I only have two drains on my belt: power steering and alternator. The solution for the power steering is easy, just loop the rack lines and develop some arm strength. At that point it seems silly to have a belt just for the alternator, so I'd like to learn to stop using that too. People have recommended deep cycle batteries and solar chargers, but I wonder if I could take a simpler approach. I was hoping I could just run without the belt for as long as possible, then pull it back on and charge back up as needed.

In order to minimize current usage, I was planning to remove the wiring for every unecessary device, such as the radio and (maybe) cabin fan. I was also hoping that I could push start the vehicle as often as possible. I once had a 4.0 liter explorer 4x4 with a bad starter, and I push started it everywhere I went for at least a month. My current motor is only 1.6 L and will have no belt or transfer case, so I believe it will be a lot easier to pop start. The question is, will I damage or excessively wear down any parts by doing this?

My plan was to try this until the battery dies, and then plan to hook up the belt and charge whenever I reach 80% of that time interval. So another couple of questions, how long would my battery keep it's charge like this, and how long does it take to fully charge back up?

I also might install an aluminum underdrive pulley to minimize the wasted energy when there is no belt.

Thanks!