View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnambic View Post
My (rudimentary) understanding is that the airdam helps by directing the air away from the underside of the vehicle where there's lots of junk to cause drag. The airdam would increase the frontal area (I'm sorry if I'm misusing the term - please correct me if I'm wrong) but the cost here is supposed to be more than made up by the reduction in drag from under the vehicle.
You're right there.

Quote:
But if you do a proper belly pan, will the airdam still be a worthwhile investment or will the increased drag of the airdam negate or maybe even exceed its positive impact?
The belly pan will likely be lower than the current lowest point on the front bumper.
You don't want to make a scoop by angling the front belly pan up, that'd scoop more air underneath the car.
Instead, you can direct that air sideways by fitting an air dam that's as deep as where your belly pan is.
That way, you also don't increase the frontal area beyond what you get anyway with the belly pan mounted.

Like aerohead says, you could see further gains by extending the airdam even lower, but there you're in the trade-off area - increased frontal area against the benefit the airdam gives you.
It could work for you, or it could work against you, depending on the car.

Once you have a belly pan you can start experimenting with different airdam depths and see what works best.