View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Arragonis
The PRC.

As Focus taps the Prima may be a better bet.

Some history - the B-series was developed into the O-series 1.7 and 2.0 OHC petrol engines used in the later Marina (not imported to the US) and the follow up Ital models. Basically the O-series is a B with moved bore centres and an OHC conversion.

Just think how lucky you were to miss the Ital, with its sophisticated italian styling update of the classic Marina...

...or maybe not.

The 2 litre O-series was used as the basis of the Perkins Prima MDi diesel unit used in the Sherpa, LDV200 and Maestro Vans and cars as well as the Montego and Maestro Turbo Diesel cars.

I had a last of the line Maestro in 1993 with the Prima turbo engine (88hp) which was faster 0-60 and had better FE than the equivalent VW Golf TDI of the time. Lovely engine. - Me earlier...

The later L-series is a development of the Prima used in the Rover cars - 90bhp and 105 bhp versions with an intercooler.

I also had a Rover 220 SDi with the 105 motor. Again, superb engine.

This may be a reasonably easy fit based on the following - this gets complicated so my apologies.

At the same time as the Diesels were developed so where the Rover Mi16 and T16 petrol engines - basically these are DOHC 16V versions of the O-series - which is in turn a B-series - the difference is the cylinder heads. The T16 is basically a Mi16 with a turbo. It was used in the Rover 'Tomcat' Coupe.

(why yes, it really is a rebadged Honda with a less reliable engine but a much better interior...)

People looking to make their Rover 200/25 go faster can do so by fitting the T16. To do this they get the subframe from a Diesel model which uses the L-series engine. The T16 bolts straight into that subframe which then fits into the car.

As the L-series is a developed Prima, which in turn is a Dieselised O-series which in turn is a development of the B-series - it may just about fit in your Marina.

Maybe

I have an MGB with a knackered engine and would like to try this but I think time and money will run out on me.

At least if you try this route you are more likely to be able to get parts, or one of these :

Rusty Marina (05-15-2011)