View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lazarus
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @dam View Post
Many of the techniques advocated here, such as some of the ones listed above, ignoring stops, tailgating, extremely fast cornering, etc. seem to dramatically decrease safety. Even if we ignore the fact that ones life is ones most valuable asset and can not be replaced, the expense of one accident, and the environmental cost of the repair or new car, can dramatically outweigh all of the savings from years, or even a lifetime, of hypermiling. Even something like not using the AC on a hot day can fit in this category, as I find I'm a less attentive driver when I'm very hot and uncomfortable- not to mention that if you don't use your AC semi-regularly it is more likely to have a compressor problem, leading to an expensive repair that more than offsets the cost of any fuel you saved.

Thoughts?
-@dam
Welcome to the site.

I think if you look through threads here most do not advocate ignoring stops, tailgating, extremely fast cornering, etc. I think the only sticking point would be EOC (engine off coasting). Look through the threads and the common denominator is drive with a purpose; Instrumentation, slow down, plan your routes, look ahead, check your tire pressures, and aero mods(grill block, belly pans).

As one who does not EOC the good news is you can turn in some really big numbers with just those 6 things listed above.

Enjoy the site and good luck with your FE pursuit.