View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
skyking
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Boat tail on trailer vs. deflector in front: The beginnings of a clean slate project

Which one first?

I'll post more detailed pictures when I get it hooked up again.

I just installed my wood bed sides/toolboxes, which allow me to tow the trailer at the proper, lower height.

Note that the sides of the boxes allow for an easy full wheel skirt.

I am covering the running boards with teak decking, and I am looking at a fillet fairing for that hard corner at the lower front of the toolbox/back of the cab area.

I am building new front and rear bumpers and grill. That is why I consider it a "clean slate" if you will.
The front bumper will be lower than stock and wider at the bottom to more effectively cover the front tire.

Back to the question: which to do first, a really tight articulating deflector in front of the trailer, going forward onto the truck cab roof, or a three piece folding boat tail?

I have to make the boat tail easy to fold, with a "door" I can open in front of that back window. Hinge the sides in, then lower the top down and open a door.
Advantage of the deflector: Don't have to fold it up to get parked. Don't have to worry about hitting things with it.
Advantage of the boat tail: Quicker build by far.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
KamperBob (05-15-2011)