View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 AM   #514 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
Don't get me wrong Paul, I love what you're doing and understand the "built this myself mentallity"

Why build one for that much when an 10hp off brand retails for ~$700

Or a 20hp for ~$1200

A good ABB drive sells through supply houses for about the same. Just check the specs to see if (a) it can run off of a common DC bus and (b) if you can turn off the "low input voltage shutdown" feature. These tend to go together, this allows you to run it with your batteries feeding straight into the common bus.

In an early post you stated you saw them for $8-10K. I wouldn't expect to pay that until I crossed the 250hp level. I don't think you'll fit that in a Metro !!
Hi Jason,

10 HP and 20 HP are too low to get my S10 up to highway speed. I need 30 HP for 60 mph, prefer 40. I'd like 90 HP for short periods so that acceleration is decent.

I'm following this thread with much interest, but I am also trying to source a surplus industrial VFD to do as you suggest.

The (failed) VFDs that I have dissected have all had sense resistors to give the voltage input on the control board the appropriate range. These have all been 5 - 15 years old and do not have a way to disable low voltage levels. Changing the sense resistor to make the VFD sense a voltage that is in range is the method I want to try.

I'm not familiar with what it takes to mod an industrial VFD to make it reliable as a traction drive - I guess I should read up on that topic.

I like the idea of DIY so that it can be fixed - industrial Drives cost a LOT to fix. But I'm not sure that I'm good enough at assembly and testing to make something reliable.