View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
ik04
Diesel Doer!

Exclamation SDI non-turbo Diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
It takes some serious hypermiling to get at 80 mpg, even in small diesels.

This isn't the Lupo "3L" version - which doesn't get up to 80 mpg all too easily either, despite all the mods VW made to it - but the run of the mill SDi Lupo.
Yep, this car is a FOUR cylinder direct injection Diesel and it is not a TDI. The Lupo/Polo TDI is a three cylinder 1.2L engine. I looked at buying a 3L until I read the reviews of how the engine shuts off automatically and the gearbox shifts at super low RPM to save gas. Very uncomfortable to drive.

My 1.7L engine is pretty low on power and has reasonable torque, but I can compensate with driving technique. I am well on my way to finishing my first completely full tank and it looks like I will be getting over 1300 KM out of around 36 Liters of Diesel. That averages over 80 MPG, as far as I gan tell...

My first MPG check was not accurate because I did not fill up the tank completely. I figured it was between 55 and 70 MPG based on guessing the amount of fuel in the tank. I will know for sure when I finish this tank!

Besides the crazy gas mileage, this car is fun to drive and is very comfortable for such a small car. I can drive the 30 KM speed limit in third gear at 1100 RPM all day and the engine is just loafing along...

Stay tuned for more info as I collect it!

Kevin