View Single Post
Old 05-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
gone.s
EcoModding Lurker

'95 Civic DX engine options?

I've got a '95 Civic DX 5spd with around 200k on it. Stone dead reliable and It gets 38-40 day in day out for me. A little above 40 on the hwy if I keep it under 65. This is my work beater. It has had a bad piston slap since I got it 5 years ago. Now it's really burning oil and won't pass emissions. PO did 0 maint. I'm an old fart and It's getting hard to get in and out of in cold weather but it's just so hard to walk away from 40 mpg and cash flow is low right now. Kid in college.

So I'm looking for options. I'm used to working on Honda's but don't know all the engine options and such for sure. Right now it has a D15b7 4 valve engine. What are my other options for a plug and play drop in without replacing wiring harnesses and such. Just the engine and plug in ecm type of deal. I'm looking for MPG not performance. I've read the engine I have now is far from the strongest bottom ends Honda has made. Would a vtec 1600 from same vintage car get better or worse mileage? Would I be better off just finding a good running JY d15 to replace what I have. The car IS a beater so I don't want to drop a ton of cash in it. It's got some rust and dents.