View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
larrybuck
Master EcoModder

Are you Visable?

I have read many posts here about people on the open freeway cruising,and minding their own business at 50-55mph. then Suddenly having inattentive speeders way above any speed limit creating dangerous near crash situations. When I go out of town on a trip, I take a VERY thin Flagger's mesh vest, and hang only the mid length sleeves out below my hatchback. It is that very visable green w orange stripes and silver reflectorized stripes. Since only the sleeves are hanging out; it doesn't strain the weather gasket,and won't leak rain in. It's the same vest I wear always on my motorcycles. Just make sure its not covering any of your rear lights. It should fit most any veh.; even just below a closed tailgate on a PU. In the past; I have made a homemade white reflector arrow pointing to the left mounted on the rear window of the PU canopy/cap...whatever you like to call it. I don't do wholesale white and red reflects because too much portrays a weak, fearful image! Be crafty; subtle! I do like those last mentioned colors on the rear license plate frame. In conclusion, I like rear red foglights as per late OLDs Aurora, on many, many Jag sedans, and on some newer Audi's. These are all 2 light apps. usually placed below the regular taillights. I ordered a HELLA unit from Europe that took several months to arrive. I prefer a single light on the right rear mostly aimed toward the fogline. It has special mirrors inside that amp the light, and the bulbs are average and cheap! I have no wish to blind anyone. I used it in the daytime as a rear guard w/o having to use parking lights or anything. At night, I would only use it on open multi-lane roads where MUCH FASTER traffic is always flying up. I don't generally use at all on 2 lanes or when freeway traffic behind you is close to your speed. I'm sure it would be easy to cobble up some mount under the bumper 2 filament (brakelight level) bright setup for cheap w a toogle switch! If THE MAN (in this case probably having not seen many lights like this) hassles you; be sure to mention the cars above being stock, and you are simply upgrading for safety!