View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanarborist View Post
Cars sold, or made in the US? I know for a fact that my 92 Eclipse and Talon had aluminum rails. I believe they continued it into the 2nd generation cars in late 90's as well.
Could it cause corrosion in the intake and cylinder heads as well? What about aluminum pistons?
If they used bare aluminum than Mitsu/Chrysler would have been fools. Aluminum needs to be coated with zinc to protect against corrosion.
Stainless steel is better than steel but it gives up strength for corrosion resistance. Plastic is better IMHO than metal for the fuel system but it has to be a certain range of polymers like viton not nylon.

There have been recalls on vehicles for not being E10 compliant. The only ones I remember for newer cars were VW and Lexus. I've heard a rumor that Ford changed over the entire fuel system to be compatible with higher Ethanol blends in '94.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Never heard of problems aft of the fuel system.
I've heard of people saying that engine parts would fail but I think it would have to be an old engine with lead era valveseats.

And @ everyone just to clarify all alcohols are corrosive. Ethanol is less corrosive than Methanol. They both have oxygen which is corrosive but it also helps improves power and efficiency (which is not the same as MPG that is directly related to energy density).

The Compression ratio doesn't need to be higher for alcohol to be efficient. That is just a rumor. Ethanol can run efficiently at higher compression ratios than Gasoline but it is not necessary to be more % efficient. If you want dual fuel ability I'd keep the engine as stock as possible and get a tuner for it with several tunes for different blends.

And be careful adding Ethanol or too much too fast, I'd hate to hear you blew your engine because your engine leaned out and broke something . Adequate fuel is a big concern when you're decreasing energy density that much.