View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #63 (permalink)
Nevyn
Master EcoModder

The Crimson Crawler - '04 Hyundai Elantra GLS
90 day: 36.71 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianbartie View Post
At the risk of sounding like a complete dill, my understanding of IGBTs is that 1 IGBT module of a suitable capacity (that is another issue) coupled with 1 IGBT driver board can replace the 10 Mosfets, 10 diodes, 16 power caps, the 3 poly caps & the big chunk of copper that is the heat spreader that is currently my power section.
I guess the IGBT module would need to be bolted to the controller case heat sink.
Is an IGBT power section more efficient, more reliable & generate less heat than a Mosfet power section?
Does each IGBT module need its own driver board or can a driver board run several modules?
I dont have big current requirements. The Cougar 511A capacity is enough but I am looking for maximum reliability.
Am I on the right track here?
You're not a dill! I feel the same way, if it helps. Here's what I can tell you, that is correct as far as I know. If it's not, I hope JackBauer comes in and kicks me or something!

IGBT + Driver Board DOES replace the MOSFETS, diodes, heat spreader, and power board.

It does NOT replace the capacitor bank.

One driver board can run a LOT of IGBTS. However, Paul says that he found a way to replace the driver board and it's expensive VLA500-01 drivers ($50 each!) with a $10 solution. I'd wait to hear more about that from him.