View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
TomO
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
With how the P07 ECU handles the alternator, I'd be interested to see if there would be much of a gain by taking off the alternator belt.

I know that the ECU will "turn on" the alternator when the ELD sees more than a 10Amp draw on the system. This time of year in MN, it stays warm enough to not need the heat and cool enough to not need the A/C (my VX doesn't even have A/C anyways). So when I'm driving around with the windows cracked and the climate controls off and no headlights during daylight hours, my voltage gauge indicates that the alternator is not actively charging the battery most of the time. I forgot the specific RPMs but once you get over something in the 2400rpm range the alternator will be turned on as well. Most of the time during the summer even right after I start the car, the alternator will not be charging the car. But turn on the blower motor past the first setting and the alternator kicks on and starts charging.

Basically, I believe that the VX might benefit from your deep cycle battery idea, but maybe do some testing and a cost analysis first to see if it's really worth it. If it's going to take ten years or more to recoup the cost of the deep cycle, I'd just stick with a normal starting battery.

I've actually had a deep cycle AGM Optima in my VX....the way the VX charging system works actually ruined the battery causing me to switch back to a standard lead-acid starting battery.

So if you decide to go through with this be sure to document and test A-B-A and share the results with us, please.