View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #72 (permalink)
CapriRacer
Tire Geek

UFO, I hope you'll recognize I am not singling you out, but the way you worded something is part of the confusion surrounding the inflation pressure issue and I think it is important that this be correctly stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
.....Tires are designed to carry weight up to the load rating AT the sidewall pressure......
Tires are designed to carry weight up to the load rating at SOME inflation pressure - and that pressure is not necessarily what is imprinted on the sidewall.

For example: For Standard Load Passenger Car tires, the load carrying capacity increases as the inflation pressure increases up 35 psi. Put another way, the maximum load carrying capacity occurs at 35 psi. It is permissible to use higher inflation pressure as specified by the sidewall maximum.

Here's a copy of a page out of the 2005 Tire and Rim Association Yearbook that shows a typical load vs inflation pressure relationship. This is commonly referred to a Load Table:

www.barrystiretech.com/2005traloadtable.jpg

Notice that for "Standard Load" the table ends at 35 psi and for "Extra Load" it ends at 41 psi.