View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #51 (permalink)
Pendragon
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I have photographs. I'm finding myself a little obsessed with this idea now. I "built" this ugly thing (below attached) by simply taping down a 2' by 4' piece of black coroplast. I chose that size only because it is close to what I imagine, and I already had a sheet that did not want to cut. The goal is actually to create something larger, something that might provide a surface at least 40 x 32 inches. The larger surface would extend eight inches aft from where this board is. The larger surface is part of an imaginary concept accommodating a 100w 2.5mm solar panel. Over the weekend I might make side wings. I cut some one inch styrafoam blocks to lift the surface and flatten it a little. I want to do a coast down with it.
Thanks for the pic. That is close to what I had in mind except that I was thinking something running from the end of your rorlplast back to the trunk at about the height of the top of the tail lights...sort of like a reversed wedge (the idea of this is both to provide rigidity so that it does not flop around so much and to see if it cleaned up the airflow somewhat) with something to cover the ends of the wedge and a fence running back to the area of the rear window sort of like the rear window wings of the '66 & '67 GTO or the Porsche 906 series. I would be inclined to have the upper surface of the wedge tilted up something around 5 degrees, perhaps as much as 10 degrees, but this is a gut instinct. I am just suspicious that it being a little bit higher would give it a better chance of picking up the disturbed airflow coming off the top of the car.

I would keep the "footprint" entirely within the trunk lid for purely practical reasons of access to the trunk.

If it shows some promise, you could see about tweaking it after doing some coast down & tuft testing. If you have a video cam it would be very interesting to see what is going on. Please keep posting back.

Cheers