View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Okay, I have some specific questions about the various fiberglass fabrics and epoxy resins:

Fiberglass Cloth

Epoxy :*Epoxy Resins and Hardeners

For the skin on my 1/4 scale CarBEN model, what weight and type of fiberglass fabric would be best?

For the full size shell of the CarBEN EV, what weight and type of fiberglass fabric would make sense? For the bottom and the surfaces where suspension components will be attached, I am thinking that using a heavier fabric will be good.

To make smooth wheel covers, or wheel strakes, or belly pan -- the same question?

I know I need to use epoxy resins since I am using EPS foam to build up and carve the forms; but should I use the medium set time thin epoxy, or the slow, or the fast? The outside will have the skin first, and then I'll skin the inside, as well. The inside of the hood area, the inside of the battery compartment in the floor, and the front and rear wheel wells and skirts, also will be fiberglassed.

Should I get the 1oz pumps? What applicators, rollers, gloves, masks, suits, etc. would you recommend?

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/

Last edited by NeilBlanchard; 05-20-2011 at 10:24 AM..