View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
euromodder
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT View Post
did my idea on placing a custom tool holder (the culvert,now with end caps to secure tools inside) help,hurt,or not really change anything?
Rounding off the corners could help a bit .
Don't make the tube sit higher than the top of the dumpster box - it'll increase frontal area, and you've already got plenty of that.

The top tube is also deflecting air down into the gap between the cab and the box. Try to prevent that - with small deflectors on the cab.
Same applies if you add something similar to the sides.

Close the gap aft of the tube

Quote:
if that did help,would placing a section of 8" PVC pipe on each side vertically (as that's all that would fit,and still allow me to open and close the doors of the cab) help round out the corners some more to reduce wind drag?
You'd still be pushing air as much in the gap aft of the cab as what you're pushing aside.

If you cut a pipe with twice the diameter in 4 parts, the 4 pies will only be as wide and deep as the full tube what you were planning to use .
Additionally, the whole width of the 90° pie would be rounding off the sides of the box.

Quote:
should i enclose the rear gates or leave them open like in the pics?
If the sides and front are closed off, it won't matter.
Kammbacks and boattails are also left open at the rear.

You could clean up the sides and make it flush like the top.

Quote:
iv looked around here,and saw the "boat tail" mods.
i really think thats ugly.id like to stay away from that,but im open to suggestions and opinions,and will consider at least a few short sections on the sides and or top.
Ugly as they may be, boattails are effective - especially on square boxes.

Smoothing out airstream on the sides would help a boattail to function properly.

Those dual wheels are very much exposed.
Fairing them in, or putting a bulbous deflector in front of them would very likely help as well.
Maybe you could fabricate a streamlined toolbox that fits along the chassis, that's directing the air away from the rear wheels.

Do you really need all those mirrors ?

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
FORDF250HDXLT (05-21-2011)