View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:01 PM   #76 (permalink)
rocket man
EcoModding Lurker

My tires are rated for 51 psi on the sidewall. I have had the car for about 6000 miles now and have been running 50, 60 and now 70 psi. I am very happy with it with 70psi as the mileage is very good. It handles fine, corners even better with 70 psi than 60psi. Ride is very acceptable. The tires look like new, tread is wearing evenly. I realize that car and bicycle tires are different, but if flimsy bicycle tires can hold 120psi and still stay on the rim, of course steel belted radials will have no problem. By the way my tires had 60 psi in them when I bought the car. This car has a tire warning system, I thought it was only if the pressure got too low, but today I put 75 psi in them and about 15 min down the road, the warning light came on, so I reduced the pressure after they cooled down to 71.5. My thought is maybe at about 77 psi the warning comes on. I could recalibrate this device as I wanted to experiment with 80 and 90 psi, but for the time being will stay at 70. When the tires heat up they gain no more than 4psi at normal hwy speeds.