View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 06:50 PM   #164 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
corners/duals/Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbywan View Post
Thanks for the info. A phantom tail, that's a good way to put it. So I guess the curved surfaces at the rear help the air 'make the corner(s)' at the rear and meet up, theoretically, at the point where the four planes would converge if the tail were complete?

If this works I may try the belly pan if I can find the right materials. Do you have any idea how to 'treat' the dually rear wheels? There's got to be some crazy things going on there as the air goes over, around and through the tires.
Should there be some kind of diverter in front of the tire sets to help direct the airflow? How about behind the tire sets?

What kind of improvements did you realize with the Prius 'tadpole' tail?
orbywan,with respect to the tail,the air will separate right at the chop,but the turbulent wake will take the form of the continuation of the 'Template' outline.Air will follow over that turbulence and meet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
With respect to the duals,the only 'solution' for 18-wheelers with open under-carriage is an invention by the fella at Nosecone Corp.
He created a fairing which forces all the underside air out,along a semicircular path to the edge of the duals,preventing any air to collide with them and attempt to flow through.
The recent skirts you see today on 18-wheelers will do the same.Skirting the duals themselves cut drag about 6% more.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- As far as the Prius goes,it remains an unknown quantity until tested.
The aerodynamic science surrounding its design is very mature and I have an exceedingly high confidence in its potential.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- At 1,100 pounds 'overweight' my T-100 returned 5-1/2 mpg better than stock,pulling the un-finished Viking boat-tail trailer in December 2009,in arctic air,and 15-mph crosswinds.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first 2-wheel trailer,with no belly,and no gap-fillers caused only a 2-mpg penalty for my CRX at 1,175 pounds over curb weight on a round trip from Denton to Los Angeles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- My first 1-wheel trailer returned 48 mpg ave. behind the CRX,over 4-states,over mountain passes as high as 10,600-feet,and speeds as high as 80 mph,all with 2 vacuum lines completely burned through on the carburetor.A condition I was unaware of until returning home.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I feel pretty certain that the Prius is going to pick up 7.5 mpg.
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
orbywan (05-20-2011)