View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
FORDF250HDXLT
EcoModding Lurker

chip truck - '93 ford F250HD DUALLY CONVERSION XLT
90 day: 12.89 mpg (US)

log truck - '93 Ford F-450/F-Superduty XLT
90 day: 9.17 mpg (US)
thanks for the replies.

the truck has 3:55's with LT 225/75/R16 (29.3X8.9) Effective Gear Ratio Change: 3.84:1
i haul HEAVY very often,so that was my main focus.
the truck is my business truck,setup for my tree service.hauling wood and wood chips.
there was a lot of time spent deciding on the shorter tires.
yes i could have gone with 215's,but i load wood by hand,and NEED the truck to sit as low as possible.
i drive an average of 45 MPH,which puts me around 1400 RPM in OD most of the time.
anyway,back to my focus;aero.

yes,that's what i figured about the tube.but i needed the tube type tool carrier and was the perfect place.i guess i should have an RV deflector on the cab roof now.

as for pushing half and half on the sides with the 8" PVC.it's the best idea i could come up with that would fit.
it's got to be better than just leaving the wind smashing a flat wall,so i guess i'll start there since you agree it could help a bit.
id like to add some typ of deflector on the sides of the cab,but i just don't see enough room for anything.
if only i had a super cab.......ah well.

clean up the sides.
so cover up the stakes somehow.
the drawback to this,is weight though.any suggestions?
what type of improvement would that make on a scale of 1-10,would you guess?

mirrors.
oh yes.very much needed.
besides the large ones being required by law,the small round mirrors eliminate my blind spots so i can change lanes.otherwise id never know if there was a car,or even a large truck there.
i have a rear view cam as well,but the mirrors.....oh yes,must haves.

priority is function for work.otherwise i wouldn't even be driving anything like this.i wouldn't have a pickup at all actually with these fuel prices.
im just looking for the obvious aero mods that will for sure lead to more MPG's.
i'll study the truck some more,and try to think of a way to deflect air away from the cab-dump body.this sounds pretty important i take it?

so no simple/basic air deflectors of any sort for the rear of the dump then?
it's either a full boat tail (not going to happen/besides not liking that look,the rear gates need to swing open,so i can dump fast and easy day in,and day out) or don't waste my time type of thing?

below is a pic of the underbody toolbox.
there is another just like it on the other side.
(yes these where needed.they do not lift with my dump.they hold my gear and chain saws/other tools etc.that i use daily.)

Maine is very rural,and if i want to stay busy,i need to be prepared to travel.yet i need to stay as competitive as the other tree services who may be just across the street from the place on bidding on.i drive approx 20k miles per year.so any little aero mod,isn't so little in my case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underbody boxes1_1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	8396  

Last edited by FORDF250HDXLT; 05-20-2011 at 10:45 PM..