View Single Post
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
JoJotheTireMan
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I think it could be a benefit if accompanied by way high gears- should be able to "lug" better without jerking. And/or it could allow much earlier shifting or better skip shifting.
Also from same user: "I like the idea because I don't coast that much anymore; it's just too dang annoying. What I can use every time, P&G or not, is the ability to grab higher gears sooner. And it seems on my car the limiting factor to how low of an rpm I can lug at is flywheel mass, because if I go too low it bucks. "

Sorry for the manual quote, I couldn't figure out how to multi-quote.

The point here is Frank Lee is 100% correct here.

I used to race 2 stroke dirt bikes in endurance style woods racing and one of the hot tricks back then was to add flywheel weights to gain that much needed low end grunt that most 2 strokes lack, it made the bike much better for woods racing. It resisted stalling, eliminated bucking, and added low rpm grunt, which allowed you to lug 3rd instead of screaming 2nd through the same obsticle. The trade off is slower revving. Which in my application was perfect, and many of the racers back in the 80s and 90s used this trick on 2 strokes.

I, like the rest of the world, switched to the 4 stroke bikes and would never go back. They just put the power down better, again more low end grunt (useable power) and less high rpm hp (drag race power).

Just thought I would add my 2 cents worth from my own experience with flywheel weight. JoJo