Thread: J'arrive
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
charlesbronson
Real Life Lurker

crimson chariot - '05 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.58 mpg (US)
J'arrive

I'm a newly unemployed/poor person trying to stretch a buck. I used to hypermile back when I had a jeep, because it had a real-time MPG display screen, and it was painful watching it sit there at 16. Eventually I made the real hypermiler move of buying a better car.

I went with a 2005 Malibu because it's the perfect size for my needs (carpooling with adult passengers) while still being small enough to be relatively efficient. I ended up with the V6 model because that was the first one i could find in my price range. Maybe not the best move, but even 25(ish) MPG was amazing coming from a jeep owner's perspective.

Anyway, I eventually got a quite high-paying job and stopped caring. My commute was about an hour one way, and saving a couple bucks a week versus maintaining sanity wasn't a very hard choice.

But, like everybody else in Michigan, I ended up losing my job, so I started being a cheap bast-*ahem* environmentally-minded individual. The problem with Malibus is that the FE readout is an average for the last 60 miles or so (100km), which isn't really the type of feedback I need. I managed to get it from 25 up to 30.9 for this week, so I'm doing pretty good so far. I'll be better when I get my ScanGauge, hopefully next week.

And so, this seems like the place to be for people who are looking to be efficient, so here I am.

tl;dr - Hello