View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:17 AM   #16 (permalink)
Allch Chcar
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minAirForce View Post
Long term affects of E85 are fuel injectors problems and rusting of gas tank. Pop Mechanics did a great article on it. E10 is bad enough.
It's the o-rings that are most susceptible to failure, unless the fuel injector clogs. And the fuel tank would need to be made out of steel to rust. Some fuel tanks are polymer(plastic) in which that would not be the case unless they were nylon which is susceptible to corrosion, I believe.

Another thing you missed is the fuel filters are prone to clogging after switching to a high % ethanol/gasoline blend. It might need to be changed within the next 500 miles afterward.

Good stuff here. I hear all the time about Ethanol being bad for old cars or even cars in general. It's good to see some proper conversions exist!

I'm still hoping to make my next car a custom flexfuel setup and I'm leaning more towards a post CAN bus ECU. Thanks for the encouragement about EFI engines . I kid I kid. The biggest difference is that the ECU fuel and spark maps would need to be adjusted and usually tuners(tool) are $$$ and then getting someone to tune it is $$$ for dyno time and labour. Not to mention that ECU map adjusting is exponentially more complicated than tuning a carbeurator . It's perfect for someone who loves to do that kind of thing, like me .