View Single Post
Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
bwilson4web
Engineering first

17 i3-REx - '14 BMW i3-REx
Last 3: 45.67 mpg (US)

Blue Bob's - '19 Tesla Std Rng Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
. . .
They also discovered that wear, traction, and RR are in a 3 way opposition of each other. That means that if they wanted only low RR tires, they would force people to either buy tires with low traction (Obviously a safety issue) or that wear rapidly (and what do you do with the additional scrap tires?) There was no good answer here.
Engineering often comes down to making choices: good, fast, cheap, pick two of three. When I was tire shopping, I used Consumer Reports:

Since we live in North Alabama, braking on ice is rare as the whole area shuts down. As for wet braking, our roads are exceptionally slippery when it rains and it really doesn't matter what tires are on the car. So I went with Sumitomo T4s which happened to be Toyota's replacement tire. They also are sidewall rated at 51 psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
. . .
Besides, the Federal Government (NHTSA) stepped in a started to write a regulation - and that would superceed anything done at the state level.
I was aware the NHTSA was doing something in this area. But the NHTSA effort looked more like an attempt to pre-empt the California regulations and delay rolling resistance ratings one more time. The tire manufacturers are doing everything they can to block it which doesn't make a lick of sense.

Bob Wilson